Re: Two questions

Subject: Re: Two questions
From: Lin Sims <ljsims -dot- ml -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 14:40:50 -0400

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 2:07 PM, Keith Hood<klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> I'd like to ask you guys your thoughts on a couple of things that have happened to me lately:
>
> First, I got a message from a recruiter about a job as a system analyst. The description of the job duties included things that I think are normal for such a position, such as developing requirements for software being written, identifying hardware and software and networking structure needs, etc. But it also stated the analyst would execute contracts with vendors for designing and building a data warehouse, and supervise the work done by the vendors. (A system analyst responsible for contract enforcement?) They also wanted someone who is experienced in programming in Access, MySQL, and VBA, and the job would include modifying and maintaining application code. And there's other stuff about maintaining an inhouse website and a couple of other things. It looks to me like they're trying to get 4 or 5 different types of work out of one paycheck. Am I wrong? (This job is with a state government agency, by the way.)
>
> Second, in one day I got no less than 7 messages about a different opening. They are all about the same opening, and all from 7 different people at the same recruiting firm. I've never seen such a buckshot spread of messages before. Are these people all so desperate to get a live one on the hook they're ignoring normal procedure, or does maybe this recruiting firm have no controls on who works what accounts?

I've had the last happen to me any number of times. It's usually
because the people are in different offices and their database has no
way of tracking who has already been contacted about a position. I've
never asked, but I'd be willing to bet that it also doesn't track if a
recruiter is working to fill a position.

--
Lin Sims

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.