FDA and translations (was How do you ensure the quality of translations)

Subject: FDA and translations (was How do you ensure the quality of translations)
From: Deborah Hemstreet <dvora -at- tech-challenged -dot- com>
To: Dan Goldstein <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 11:30:11 -0400

Hi Dan,

I quite agree with you there. When I was managing translations for a
medical device company, reverse translation was never considered.

I was merely pointing out that the use of this method is not as
clear-cut as it appears.

By the way, I'd be interested, you mentioned FDA. To the best of my
knowledge, there are no requirements per se regarding translation (from
the FDA). Has that changed? If so, could you point me to the link on
their site to read up about that?

I know that the EU and individual countries have requirements, but was
not aware the FDA had started looking at translations of stuff... or is
it only pharmaceuticals? We were dealing with medical devices.

Inquiring minds want to know more!

Thanks!

Deborah