RE: Absence of FrameMaker from your skill set -- what does it say?

Subject: RE: Absence of FrameMaker from your skill set -- what does it say?
From: "Jessica Weissman" <Jessica -dot- Weissman -at- hillcrestlabs -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 07:51:03 -0400

Ava asked whether the absence of Framemaker from a technical writer's
resume indicates anything, and wonders whether she is justified in using
that absence as a sole reason to reject a resume.

I've been a technical writer for 25 years out of a 35-year career, and
used Frame once in all that time; it wasn't hard to learn enough to get
that particular job done though I did not magically become an expert
user in those three months. It is entirely possible to be serious about
the profession and not run into a need for Frame.

While I love my work, I saw no reason to learn new versions of Frame in
my spare time. I can make Word do pretty much anything needed, but if a
current employer wanted Frame I'd be glad to have the chance to add it
to my skill set. And if I were laid off, I'd probably take the time to
learn Frame or InDesign as I looked for a new job

As others have said, the key skills are not the ones required to operate
a particular tool. It is unfair to winnow applicants according to a
tool or skill you deliberately chose not request in your ad.

If you want to avoid the small delay that will result from having an
otherwise skilled and qualified writer learn Frame, that's your right.
But in fairness, you should issue a new ad.

Do you feel that the two Word-using writers and the Robohelp-using
writer in your company are not serious about the field?

- Jessica

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.