RE: Absence of FrameMaker from your skill set -- what does it say?

Subject: RE: Absence of FrameMaker from your skill set -- what does it say?
From: "Adrianne Mora" <AdrianneM -at- envipco -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 09:09:50 -0400

This is a pretty interesting discussion. I'm glad you brought it up.

Last summer, I missed out on a job because I had never used FrameMaker.
I knew InDesign and consider myself a Word expert, but that was not good
enough for that particular position. Fair enough. I decided that if I
could learn software quickly enough to document it, I should have no
problem learning Frame. So, I bought a good Frame book and learned it.
Within two weeks, I was writing documents in my own customized template.

When I arrived at my current place of employment, the network admin
asked me what software I needed. The manual requires many AutoCAD
drawings, so I knew that Frame would be the best tool for the job. I
have to say that I never want to go back to using Word. Just the book
feature saves enough time and confusion to make it worth the hefty price
tag. Not to mention conditional text! For me, this is the best tool for
the job.

If you can't find someone with Frame knowledge, I'm sure you can find a
writer with a solid tech background who knows how to work with templates
and styles. Someone like that could learn Frame quickly, IMO.

Good luck with the search!

Adrianne

Please take care of the environment. Print only if necessary..

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.