Re: Writing for Translation

Subject: Re: Writing for Translation
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 09:14:27 -0700

Or, since your existing callouts are in text boxes and editable in Frame
(if I read the original post correctly), if your existing users find the
current layout the most usable you could hire translators who work in
Frame and have them translate the callouts.

You should also run this past whoever does your safety reviews (in ALL
your destination countries) to see whether there are potential
regulatory, safety and/or liability issues with any scheme that
introduces a disconnect between the arrowhead and the text that it is
intended to indicate in a high-risk system. UL, CSA and CE requirements
often differ, and the last thing you want is to have to explain in court
that you changed from an arrow-direct-to-text scheme to an
arrow-to-number, number-to-text-in-separate-table scheme that a
plaintiff is claiming resulted in an injury or fatal accident because it
was less expensive for the company and less work for you.

Gene Kim-Eng