Re: Standards for warning icons

Subject: Re: Standards for warning icons
From: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com, Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 12:37:53 -0700 (PDT)

It looks to me like you have some in the list that are not really *warning* icons. Like the one for "ground" - that sounds to me like it's just an engineering notation. I think you need to rearrange things so you have easily identifiable differences between symbols that actually warn of physical dangers, and those that are only position/function markers.

I would think you don't need a "safe" marker at all. Won't most users assume that something is safe unless it is marked as unsafe?

The "warning" sign with the bang character inside a triangle is, I think pretty good as it is. It's pretty much a worldwide signage standard to use a triangle marker to alert people to an upcoming hazard. But for the "note" marker, get rid of the triangle. There's too much chance of it causing confusion over what is really a warning of potential danger and what is just information.

Some of the things you mention, like the "fumes" marker, I would suggest keeping, but use them in tandem with the "warning" marker. If you have those symbols side by side, the user can very quickly deduce that there is a danger posed by a possible gas release - with those symbols together, he can get that information more quickly and easily than by reading a note that says fumes can be released.

Ditch the "bodily injury" symbol. Aren't all warning markers supposed to be related to the chance of some kind of harm? There's no cotrast there - unless you're going to have a symbol to warn people of possible mental injury. I've seen some companies where that symbol should be painted on the front door.