RE: Technical writer survey: What should we really call ourselves?

Subject: RE: Technical writer survey: What should we really call ourselves?
From: "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>
To: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 12:57:15 -0700

What Gene said.

Leonard

-----Original Message-----
From: techwr-l-bounces+leonard -dot- porrello=soleratec -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
[mailto:techwr-l-bounces+leonard -dot- porrello=soleratec -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- c
om] On Behalf Of Gene Kim-Eng
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2009 12:39 PM
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Subject: Re: Technical writer survey: What should we really call
ourselves?

Same here. When I hear "artisan," my brain fixes on the "art" part,
while I prefer to think of what I do as a methodical application of
science and engineering. This is all subjective, of course, because
"artisan" bakers or brewmeisters must be every bit as methodical as any
scientist or engineer if their creative triumphs are to be repeated on
demand. So what it amounts to in the end is how I think the people I
need to work with and sell myself to will perceive a description, and
given a choice between "artisan" or "technician," "technician" has a
much better track record for promoting professional respect and ongoing
gainful employment in the industries I've worked in.

Gene Kim-Eng