RE: Industry jargon OK in marketing docs?

Subject: RE: Industry jargon OK in marketing docs?
From: "Connie Giordano" <connie -at- therightwordz -dot- com>
To: <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 13:36:06 -0400

I don't about other sectors, but it's well-known terminology in US federal
acquisition circles, particularly among agencies that follow
performance-based acquisition. I hated it until I heard many professionals
in that sector using the term. If her target audience is acquisition
professionals in the public sector it will be well understood. The same may
be true if it's terminology used in other sectors.

I don't offer my judgments on terminology and jargon unless I know the
industry and the target audience. Since we don't know the company's
marketing strategy, we cannot determine whether it's deliberate or not, or
appropriate or not. Not all marketing is consumer-based or evil in intent.

My rule is if jargon helps clarity of message to the intended audience, then
use it, if not then don't. It's another one of those "it depends"
scenarios.

MTC

Connie P. Giordano
The Right Words, LLC
Communications & Information Design

http://www.therightwords.com
http://www.cowbellchallenge.org
connie -at- therightwords -dot- com

(704) 540-9985 (office)
(704) 957-8450 (mobile)

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney