Windows Vista and FrameMaker?

Subject: Windows Vista and FrameMaker?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Michael Johnson <k7rvx -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 07:47:43 -0400

Michael Johnson wondered: <<I work for a government contractor at Hill
Air Force Base, Utah. Right now we're running FM7.2 on XP
Professional. Seems to work OK. So far we've been able to fend off
Vista, but it's coming, and SOON. We're wondering whether FM 7.2 is
going to work, or if any version of FM will work when Vista arrives.>>

Not using either, but a couple thoughts. First, remind your bosses
that Windows 7 ("Vista done right") is coming soon, and by all
accounts, it will be an enormous improvement over Vista. It shouldn't
be hard to persuade them to wait a few months for the first patches of
Windows 7 to be released, and then skip Vista entirely.

Second, Frame 7.2 is old news. Whether or not it runs on Vista, you
might want to consider upgrading to Frame 8.x (if you can get it) or
9. These offer a variety of fixes and improvements, including built-in
revision tracking, that may make the upgrade worthwhile. I don't use
Frame, so I can't say anything about how steep the learning curve is
likely to be, but presumably all the old good features still work well.

Geoff Hart (www.geoff-hart.com)
ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca / geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com
Effective Onscreen Editing:
http://www.geoff-hart.com/books/eoe/onscreen-book.htm

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.