RE: Cost per page metrics

Subject: RE: Cost per page metrics
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 13:43:07 -0600

Peter Neilson wrote:

> Wisdom begins to arrive when you realize that although 90% of the
> project uses up 90% of the resources, the remaining 10% of the project
> uses up the other 90%.
>
> Is there a name for this principle? It's not Pareto's. Did Pareto maybe
> have a crazy step-cousin?

That's a generalization of Cargill's Law of Software Development (from Tom Cargill of Bell Labs):

"The first 90% of the software code takes 90% of the development time. The remaining 10% of the code takes up the other 90% of the time."

It's sometimes called the 90/90 rule.

It's conceptually related to Hofstadter's Law (from Doug Hofstadter, author of _Gödel, Escher, Bach_):

"It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law."

Richard


Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom
303-223-5111
------
rgcombs AT gmailDOTcom
303-777-0436
------






^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Free Software Documentation Project Web Cast: Covers developing Table of
Contents, Context IDs, and Index, as well as Doc-To-Help
2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.
http://www.doctohelp.com/SuperPages/Webcasts/

Help & Manual 5: The complete help authoring tool for individual
authors and teams. Professional power, intuitive interface. Write
once, publish to 8 formats. Multi-user authoring and version control! http://www.helpandmanual.com/

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/archive%40web.techwr-l.com


To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
http://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and info.

Please move off-topic discussions to the Chat list, at:
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/listinfo/techwr-l-chat


References:
Cost per page metrics: From: Broberg, Mats
Re: Cost per page metrics: From: Robert Lauriston
RE: Cost per page metrics: From: Broberg, Mats
Re: Cost per page metrics: From: Bill Swallow
Re: Cost per page metrics: From: Ned Bedinger
Re: Cost per page metrics: From: Peter Neilson

Previous by Author: RE: Cost per page metrics
Next by Author: RE: Use of Optional in instructions
Previous by Thread: Re: Cost per page metrics
Next by Thread: Re: Cost per page metrics


What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads


Sponsored Ads