RE: Review process for online help

Subject: RE: Review process for online help
From: "Phillips, Wanda" <wanda -dot- phillips -at- philips -dot- com>
To: Donna Marino <domarino -at- earthlink -dot- net>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 20:01:01 +0200

Donna,
For our online help, we used to provide both a CHM and a PDF; lately our network has taken to blocking CHM files, so we tell them where they can find a draft copy on a shared server. The PDF is set up for commenting. Our email distribution identifies who is responsible for reviewing each section of the help and who is invited, as an optional reviewer, to contribute to the review. The reviewers are given instructions on how to use the PDF markup, they're directed to a document that describes the review process, and they're given a strict deadline.
It's taken us about seven years to get a fairly consistent response to the review process, and we're a fairly static company (not a lot of turn-over, I'm working with several guys who have not only worked for the company but worked in the same jobs for more than 25 years).
Occasionally, we meet with project teams and go over what our expectations are (generally with new teams or important projects to ensure they are on board and understand the process) and what the process is for introducing change.
We have incredible deadlines for Help because ALL 22 languages have to be integrated into the software before the final cycle of testing.
HTH,
Wanda

Wanda Phillips
Senior Technical Writer

Don't be afraid, Jellybean: Quod non est in actis, non est in mundo