RE: A little respect for "unvalidated"

Subject: RE: A little respect for "unvalidated"
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 16:18:56 -0400

Peter Neilson

> McLauchlan, Kevin wrote:

> > But it does have a generally understood meaning ... ?
>
> I ran this problem past my wife who has the good fortune to
> be entirely
> out of this discussion. She's a quality engineer, and knows what's
> involved in getting people to understand stuff, usually stuff
> they would
> prefer to avoid thinking about.
>
> So I asked her to differentiate between invalidated and unvalidated,
> providing her as little context as possible. She defined each one
> correctly, and then said, "But I wouldn't ever use either of
> them. I'd
> find a way to say it that could not be misunderstood."

I can see where I'm going to have to go back through some docs and to also write all future docs with a lot of clunky phrases or hyphenated terms. To my knowledge, my industry doesn't have the solidified jargon and language restrictions of medical and aeronautical ('cuz we're not mature enough), but when an unbiased external observer makes a comment like that - especially one who's smart enough and trained enough to be a quality engineer - then I have to take it to heart. Though I haven't had a complaint yet, not even from the standards auditors who put our products (and their docs) through the validation paces. Best to address it before the complaint arrives.

Thanks,

- Kevin

stopping flogging, now

or disclosing it.