Re: Surreptitious reporting...

Subject: Re: Surreptitious reporting...
From: Sara <saratechwr -at- me -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 11:34:21 -0600

Jumping in very late, but I think the source of the confusion is here:

> Sharon: The help is hosted on the server you the author put the help
> on.
> Your user voluntarily visits your docs hosted on your server.

For my company's product, our help is never installed on *our* server.
It is either installed on the end-user's (that is, the customer's)
desktop (a chm file) or on *the customer's* web server. Our web-based
product is a product that they set up on their own intranet, and the
web-based help gets installed right along with the product. So when
users access the help, they are accessing pages on their own server.
Any monitoring or tracking is all on their end and not something I
would have access to without something sneaky happening. I think that
idea is what people are responding to.

Our support web site of course is hosted by us, so I could see using
something like Feedback to see how users access the online docs we
make available there. But again, this is completely separate from the
product help systems.

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.