Re: How to find/hire technical communicators in Shenzen, China?

Subject: Re: How to find/hire technical communicators in Shenzen, China?
From: Sandy Harris <sandyinchina -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 11:53:35 +0800

On 9/29/09, Sarah Lee Hauslinger <slhauslinger -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> The company for which I work has an office in Shenzen, China.

Shenzhen The "zh" is pronounced about like English "j"

> We are looking
> to hire some (English-proficient) junior/entry-level technical communicators

Have a look at the blog http://www.shanghaitechwriter.com/
Her advice is to hire English majors and teach them the tech.
Technical grads often don't have the English skills. I think she
is correct, at least as a general rule.

If you want a senior writer in China, talk to me. I've been teaching
English here for a few years, would love to return to writing.

> - Which universities in the People's Republic of China have degree programs
> in Technical Communication? What are the titles/levels of degrees offered?
> What kind of training do the students receive--software skills, writing
> skills, and so on?

No idea. One thing to be aware of is that there are huge differences in
Chinese unis. There's a national exam for entrance, top schools get
the top students. Same anywhere, but I think differences are larger
here,

> - Where/how can we post job openings for the local area?

For hiring expats, there are sites like http://www.chinaexpat.com/
and things like "That's PRD" magazine. For locals, ask your
local staff.

Anything helpful here? They've published Shenzhen guidebooks.
http://www.lonelywriters.com/

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?