Re: Glossary tags in FrameMaker

Subject: Re: Glossary tags in FrameMaker
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 11:31:23 -0700

I'm curious about how that's supposed to work, too. I played around
with it years ago but couldn't make sense of it. So far as I've been
able to find it's completely undocumented.

I create glossaries manually using a "GlossaryEntry" run-in paragraph
tag for the term and a "GlossaryDefinition" paragraph tag for the
definition, then use cross-references to GlossaryEntry paragraphs in
the text.

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 10:42 AM, Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net> wrote:
> Do you use the Glossary marker? If so, what is the product you create? What kind of file? How's it supposed to be used?
>
> Maybe I'm still in the dark ages, but I create a glossary by manually entering terms and definitions in a separate section that goes at the back of the book. The idea is that the definitions would not flow well in the body of the document, and there might not be an obvious place to put them directly in the text, and not all readers would need the definitions. Therefore, a separate section at the back of the book lists and defines such terms.
>
> A friend is trying out the Glossary marker, and it creates something exactly like the index. I am told that the idea is that you would go to that page in the document to find the definition of the term, so presumably each page would contain a proper definition in the body of the text. I have never seen a glossary like this, but then again despite my best efforts I am not yet omniscient!
>
> Do you create glossaries like this in your publications? Or, is this feature intended for some other purpose that I'm missing?
>
> Confusedly yours,
>
> Nancy

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.