Re: .pdf vs. .html

Subject: Re: .pdf vs. .html
From: "Edgar D' Souza" <edgar -dot- b -dot- dsouza -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Gary Schnabl <gSchnabl -at- livernoisyards -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 17:45:55 +0530

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Gary Schnabl
<gSchnabl -at- livernoisyards -dot- com> wrote:
> AFAIK, OOo 3.2 (as "shipped") will not import or export DOCX files.
> There is no export (Save as...) for any DOCX file format, and I just
> tried opening a DOCX file for which I also had a DOC file. The DOCX file
> would not import, whereas its DOC version had no problems.

Strange. I'm running OOo 3.0.1 (300m15, build 9379) and it seems able
to import (since I don't have any docx files myself, had to Google for
filetype:docx resume), chose to open the downloaded file with soffice,
and it opened right up (used Firefox download dialog to choose to open
with soffice, didn't use OOo Open dialog). Sure, some layout was
mangled (what's new... sighh), and there were probably other
conversion artefacts - but it did open.

I agree, the docx extension doesn't show up in the list of file types
in the Save As or Export dialogs. You're forced to save as ODT or an
earlier MSO doc.

http://katana.oooninja.com/w/odf-converter-integrator says that the
converter "saves in Microsoft Office formats with high quality too!"
though it isn't clear if that means 2007 docx format.

> I have one of the most current developer's snapshot versions: OOo-dev
> 3.2.0 DEV300m60 (Build:9425). Perhaps, there were some extensions for
> doing what you suggest is possible. However, I will take this up with
> the OOo community and find out for certain.

Thank you; probably quite a few of us would be interested in knowing
what you find out.

Thanks,
Ed.
--