Reviewing capabilities in Adobe Reader, etc.

Subject: Reviewing capabilities in Adobe Reader, etc.
From: Ken Poshedly <poshedly -at- bellsouth -dot- net>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 12:19:38 -0700 (PDT)

Group,

I'm trying to decipher exactly what is meant by an encouraging statement on a matrix chart of features on the Adobe.com website and I need some advice.

Specifically, there is a matrix chart at  http://www..adobe.com/products/acrobat/matrix.html which lists Adobe Reader 9.0, Adobe Acrobat Standard 9.0, Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.0, Adobe Acrobat Pro Extended 9.0.

In the row for the feature "Review documents using familiar commenting tools such as sticky notes, highlighting, lines, shapes, and stamps" there's a padlock icon in the Adobe Reader 9.0 column.

The explanation for the padlock is given beneath the chart as "When enabled by Acrobat Pro or Acrobat Pro Extended"

I phoned Adobe and got their India tech support folks. Both of the two I spoke with refuse to assist unless I provide my name and address, and I won't because that's not needed for a simple question and answer like this. I guess when they get a script to follow, they'll not waiver one da_n bit.

So someone here please explain what this means:

1. I can set a pdf so it can be "reviewed" (as described above with lines, stickynotes, etc.) by Adobe Reader 9.0

2. Something else? If so, please be specific as to what's and how-to's

 I reviewed the dialog boxes in the Properties menu for a random pdf file and didn't see anything about enabling reviewing.

Help me oh Obi-Wan Kenobi! This could save us mucho bucks. Or not.

-- Kenpo in Atlanta

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.