Re: client refuses content responsibility

Subject: Re: client refuses content responsibility
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 20:00:46 -0700

Your contract should contain a clause that specifies that it is "work for hire"
(it may already say it, most do). This provision assigns "corporate authorship"
to the client. It does not provide you with an ironclad protection against
liability for issues arising from the content (someone injured by a product will
usually try to sue anyone associated with it in any capacity and juries can
blame anyone whose looks they don't like), it does add weight to the argument
that the document, its content and the responibility for it are solely the
property of the client..

Gene Kim-Eng