RE: changing from programmer to tech writer (was: Webster Techwritersonline course)

Subject: RE: changing from programmer to tech writer (was: Webster Techwritersonline course)
From: "Jessica Weissman" <Jessica -dot- Weissman -at- hillcrestlabs -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 12:08:39 -0400

Let me add my voice to Monique's here. I stopped programming and became
a business analyst before I moved over completely to tech writing. API
docs are the most interesting and enjoyable thing I've done since
programming. And my outdated programming skills were just fine as an
underpinning to API and tech writing. If I wanted to go back to
programming I'd have to learn a few new technologies deeply; to do APIs
I only have to master those technologies enough to understand and
explain them rather than be rapidly productive with them.

Of course I can't speak to the course you're asking about, or to
employment conditions in the Bay Area.

- Jessica

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.