RE: Doc Design and Convention

Subject: RE: Doc Design and Convention
From: "Sharon Burton" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
To: "'Chris Despopoulos'" <despopoulos_chriss -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 09:10:44 -0800

I think you're conflating something. I think you're confusing tell the users
about infrastructure with telling them useful information. For example:

The going-to-a-party use case: I want to arrive at the party. (notice this
is a goal, which generally good use cases are stated as)

* Expert (I know the town and the person throwing the party): The
information I'm told: The party is at Becky's house. I drive to her house. I
don't need more info and will resent anyone in the car directing me.

* Intermediate: (I know the town but not the location of the party) The
information I'm told: The party is at Becky's house. I need cross streets or
general area to drive towards and then turn by turn to find the house.

* Beginner: (I don't know the town and may or may not know the location of
the party) The information I'm told: The party is at Becky's house. I need
to be told every turn and be guided to find the house.

Once you know your audience, you adjust the level of info accordingly. If
you aren't sure of your audience, you layer the information for each level.

At no level do we need to know how traffic signals are synchronized.

But design documents for creating the product may very well do the
equivelent of explaining how the traffic signals are synchronized. Because
that's the infrastructure around which the users are doing what they need to
do. But the users don't care about that - they have a goal and want to
achieve that goal.

sharon

Sharon Burton
MadCap Software Product Consultant
Managing your content, one topic at a time
www.anthrobytes.com
951-369-8590
IM: sharonvburton -at- yahoo -dot- com
Twitter: sharonburton