RE: Writing for the U.S. military: Getting started

Subject: RE: Writing for the U.S. military: Getting started
From: "Butler, Darren J CTR USAF AFMC 584 CBSS/GBHDB" <Darren -dot- Butler -dot- ctr -at- Robins -dot- af -dot- mil>
To: "JP Brown" <brofels -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 12:46:59 -0500

Begin by reading the various "Publication Management" manuals, such as
TO 00-5-1 "Air Force Technical Orders". I think that each branch of the
service has its' own. You'll find everything from publications types to
distribution information.
As far as standards and specifications (MIL-STD & MIL-SPECS)
MIL-STD-38784 is the "Magna Charta" from which most MIL-STDs are derived
and is the standard most referenced in other MIL-STDs.
The second most important MIL-STD to be familiar with is MIL-STD 38807,
which address repair parts, and configurations. These two together are
considered to be the "Old Testament & New Testament", "Torah & Talmud"
of most military writing. I encourage you to review the MIL-STDs that
govern publications that are unique ( i.e. quirky) to the military such
as Job Guides, Work Packages and Pre-Flight Checklists.

SGML/XML is becoming the standard for many military publications, but
FrameMaker is still alive and well. Most of the shops I know of use Epic
Editor to author SGML, no one that I know of uses structured FrameMaker
for military books. I've been told that the DTDs are more compatible
with Epic. MS Word is also still used to author books but that is dying
a welcomed death in most arenas. Interactive Electronic Manuals are the
wave of the future but still in its' toddler stage in the Air Force, I
don't know about other services.