Re: Twitter

Subject: Re: Twitter
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 07:15:21 -0500

David Neeley wrote:

> On the other hand, as yet another tool for a company to serve its
> customers, Twitter may serve a valuable purpose--primarily, perhaps,
> to avoid time-wasting longwindedness.

I subscribe to a very few newsletters produced by businesses or people
in business.

I also subscribe to a very few groups such as techwr-l, mostly moderated
or edited.

The business newsletters are cluttered with artwork and perhaps music. I
usually toss them out unread, just like the similar junk in my US Post
Office mailbox. Perhaps if newsletters were sent by twitter they would
be worth the effort of trying to read them.

Occasionally I'm called upon to give people a taste of what it would be
like to learn how to do technical writing. I tell them, "Write down a
description of your computer in 50 words or fewer. Make it interesting."
Most announce after 15 or 20 seconds of thinking that the task is
impossible.

Is there an opportunity here for founding a new kind of business
writing? Is twitter perhaps accomplishing that? Or are tech writers the
only audience who can and do read, the rest of the world being swayed by
stupid catch phrases and pretty pictures?

Whaddya bet twitter2 will allow attachments?

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. Easy to use
but still has all the power you need. Get results fast in an intuitive
authoring environment that works like a familiar word processor.
http://www.helpandmanual.com/