Re: Bad Salary Omens

Subject: Re: Bad Salary Omens
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: Technical Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 09:54:14 -0700

On Monday, December 28, 2009, Pro TechWriter wrote:

> I'm considering executive assistant positions--they pay more and are
> much less responsibility--and next-to-no overtime!

Have you ever worked as an executive assistant?

If you are a true executive assistant (not just a secretary with a fancy title), the job can be
quite stressful. And if you're going to keep up, you'll be putting in OT.

I worked as an executive assistant for about 8 years. I was so relieved when I left the
company and took a position as a technical writer/applications engineer. I no longer had to
worry about the financial state of the company, hiring/firing, or keeping the CEO "up and
running". My tech writing job was blissfully stress free compared to my responsibilities as an
executive assistant.

I have worked my way back into a higher stress job, though I still think the exec asst job is
the most stressful I've ever done.

YMMV,

Dana W

Dana Worley
Software Product Manager/Manager, Software Support Group
Campbell Scientific, Inc.
Microsoft MVP, Windows Help

www.jestersbaubles.etsy.com

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. True single- sourcing --
generate 8 different formats and as many different versions as you need
from just one project. Fast and intuitive. http://www.helpandmanual.com/