RE: in search for better tools

Subject: RE: in search for better tools
From: "Daniel Ng" <kjng -at- gprotechnologies -dot- com>
To: "'Robert Lauriston'" <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>, <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 15:51:14 +0800

*This message was transferred with a trial version of CommuniGate(r) Pro*

I am pretty sure the web based version of help for Adobe Photoshop or
Framemaker and even Microsoft's MSDN tech help sites,and open source
software sites, collect pretty much all of this as well, including click
statistics and search words.

As mentioned, perhaps a good design guideline or best practice when offering
this sort of dynamic web based help for any tech writer is to include a
privacy disclaimer in the footer, a discretion left up to the requirements
of the project i guess.

Dan

PS To be honest, all blogs like Wordpress collect wonderful statistics about
our IP addresses, what posts you viewed, clicked, commented on. You also get
statistics what are the most popular posts, most downloaded or most
commented. It also stores records of search keywords used within a blog and
what keywords was used, operating systems, browsers,etc. pretty standard
stuff i guess.
With the right installed wordpress plugins, you also get the statistics in
nice charts. The thing is i guess, most blogs don't have a privacy
disclaimer. Commercial sites do i guess.