Re: Adobe Technical Communications Suite

Subject: Re: Adobe Technical Communications Suite
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 12:42:22 -0800

I suspect that a lot of people stick to tools like Illustrator and Photoshop
because they see them specified as tool requirements in job listings.
Unfortunately, may people (including hiring managers) get too hung up
on what tools someone has or uses. There are some unavoidable
work-tool links (for example, there's no alternative I know of if you need
to release documents as FM files), but I always write job descriptions
to say "or equivalent" when it comes to tool knowledge, and if writers
tell me they prefer CorelDraw or Visio for generating vector art rather
than Illustrator, or PhotoPaint or PaintshopPro for raster work rather
than PS, as long as their preferred tools can produce output in the
required formats and fit within the tools budget, I'll buy them whatever
they want

Gene Kim-Eng