RE: RoboHelp: Ready to Publish...how do I do that?

Subject: RE: RoboHelp: Ready to Publish...how do I do that?
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Missy Smith" <techpubsmistress -at- live -dot- com>, "ASK TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 10:58:22 -0700

To repeat what I wrote Tuesday:

> Also, what file(s) do we post on our server for output? The whole
WebHelp
> folder? The html folder? The other job I had, we just gave the chm to
the
> web-dude. I don't even know if there is a chm in RH8.

Whoa! WebHelp and .chm are completely different output formats. You can
create either (or both, or others), but you'd better know which you're
supposed to be delivering. In the RH help, go to "Work with layout
types" to read up on the different output formats.

Briefly, .chm is Microsoft HTML Help, a format for Windows in which a
collection of HTML files (and supporting files) are compiled into a
single file that's installed locally and displayed by the MS help viewer
(using the IE browser). WebHelp consists of an uncompiled set of HTML
(and supporting) files that can be server-hosted and displayed by any
browser.

For information about how to distribute the various outputs, see the
help topic "Distribute the project output."

You really need to learn about different help output formats. For one of
two reasons:

-- If your employer has well-defined requirements and knows what he
wants, you need to know these things in order to understand what you're
expected to do.

-- If your employer has only vague ideas and doesn't know exactly what
he wants, you need to know these things in order to figure out the best
way to achieve what your employer wants and explain the solution to him.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom