RE: Previous, Next and Print buttons in Help

Subject: RE: Previous, Next and Print buttons in Help
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Craig Haiss <craighaiss -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 13:47:32 -0500

About Browse Sequences, Craig Haiss said:

> Consider that the IE buttons behave differently than a browse
> sequence. IE's forward and back only move you through the
> history of the pages the viewer has visited. Previous and
> Next move you through a browse sequence determined by the
> help author (you), regardless of whether the visitor has
> viewed those pages already.

That's why I did my first WebHelp, years ago, with browse sequences.

But then we introduced variants on each product line that had
variant configuration steps and usage instructions, and I
sorta got out of the generated Browse Sequences in RH, and into
making my own with text links.

- If you have THIS version, go _here_ next.
- If you have THAT version, go _there_ next.
- If you have THIS OTHER version, stop now and upgrade... :-)

I never got back into the Browse Sequence habit when we
switched to Flare.

Should I?

Is it easy to have a long-ish sequence of instruction pages
that frequently splits into two or more paths that (sometimes)
later rejoin (or not), using Browse Sequences? Like, you'd start
with a single sequence, get to step/page 4 and there would be
three different page 4s, page 5s and page 6s, but then two of
those lines would rejoin at page 7, and the third would rejoin
at page 9... but then one would split off again.... another
would simply skip from 11 to 15... and like that.

Or does it become cumbersome to keep multiple intertwined BS
sorted and maintained?

- Kevin (who's not totally unfamiliar with BS...)

or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com/

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com