RE: Mixing metaphors?

Subject: RE: Mixing metaphors?
From: "Butler, Darren J CTR USAF AFMC 584 CBSS/GBHDB" <Darren -dot- Butler -dot- ctr -at- Robins -dot- af -dot- mil>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 10:09:41 -0500

One should consider that the client is familiar enough with the intended
audience to know what idioms are appropriate. Both these metaphors have
been around for a *very* long time, but I've never seen them used in a
technical document or even in a marketing context.

Patty B's #2 suggestion captures the essence of what your client wants
to say, but on the other hand........*ahem*.....it's not what they have
asked for. As Patty also suggested, using metaphors in tech docs
frequently puts both the writer and the reader on thin ice without a
paddle, so try not to rock the vote.

I'm quite surprised that many of the folks on this list have not heard
this expression before and that some view it negatively. The techwirler
gang tend to be more literate. This may be good reason to double-check
with your client to ensure that all of the intended audience will
understand what they are reading. "Two-edged sword" and the
"double-edged" derivative, originate from a bible passage. The modern
version of this expression is, "cuts both ways." Maybe, in this
post-Christian era, the link to this metaphor is breaking down which
gives another reason to double-check with the client. If both the idioms
have to stay, the associated text must be *very* clear in case a reader
has never read the Bible (two-edged sword) or seen a production of
Fiddler on the Roof (...but then on the other hand.....).

-Darren