RE: Changing Normal.dot in Word

Subject: RE: Changing Normal.dot in Word
From: "Pinkham, Jim" <Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com>
To: <dvora -at- tech-challenged -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 09:24:12 -0600

I'd add, too, Suzanne, to also realize that deleting Normal.dot, as
Deborah, suggests, will mean that Word recreates its default Normal.dot
when Word starts up again. It's pristine, but only in the sense that
documents once again default to Word's out-of-the-box styles.

I'd also suggest:

1. Keep a backup copy or two of your carefully re-crafted Normal.dot in
a safe place or two, including removable media and/or a non-network
location.
2. Consider defining your styles with names that don't match Word's
default styles so that there can be no confusion.
3. For a good understanding of Word, its templates, its macros and the
like -- from a publishing professional who's spent a good deal of time
squeezing the most out of Word -- spend some quality time at
www.editorium.com. I have no ties, other than being a happy longtime
user, but I'd say Jack Lyon has done a fine job. There are some powerful
paid Word tools there and some very good freebies, too.

HTH,
Jim