RE: OT: Profanity in the workplace

Subject: RE: OT: Profanity in the workplace
From: Kat Kuvinka <katkuvinka -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 13:05:45 -0500

So here is the entire story, if it matters.

One guy here says it all the time (he is Russian, by the way, if it matters). I asked him personally please don't say that particular phrase around me. He still does, but he apologizes every time he does it. It makes me not want to talk to him.

So our VP/Development says it the other day (he is German, if it matters). Five other people in the room, mostly managers (I am not). I said, please don't say that aound me. He said, I though all Pittsburgh Steelers fans swore all the time. TOTALLY improper. Avoiding accountability. I said, I don't mind if you swear, even if you drop F-bombs, BUT I find that phrase offensive. My manager (good ole American) made some comment about how I am picking and choosing my profanity.

I don't want to go to HR, but I think I should. Or at least bring it up at a team meeting. Fact is, I am almost completely certain this is illegal, technically. But all I am asking is for some respect becuase THAT IS WHAT MY COMPANY ADVOCATES. And, why should our young employees, especially those with strong religious beliefs, feel they have to put up with this?

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469230/direct/01/

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com