Re: Jealousy in the work place

Subject: Re: Jealousy in the work place
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 14:36:19 -0800

John Posada wrote:

> And how long do you think you can keep up with staying a step ahead
> before you miss something or don't anticipate something? Sounds like
> you are devoting a considerable percentage of your energy doing this
> CYA stuff that you could be devotiong to your actual work.

I agree, the problem is a business matter when it increases costs or
decreases productivity. In one perfect world, that would be the only
criteria to judge who or what is right or wrong.

> They're bullies and until/unless you publicly call them on their
> stunts, they'll only get more and more brazen as they see they can get
> away with that crap

I picture a confrontation. Since the bully has gotten affirmation in the
past and will want to play their hand again, the confrontation could be
protracted, could get ugly in the Darwinian sense (survival at stake).

> and become more and more frustrated as they see
> what they're trying to do isnt working.

Nicely satisfying, but I would involve my manager, too. I'd have to be
prepared if my manager didn't really want to risk antagonizing the bully.

I tend to prepare in advance by being proactive when looking for work. I
look for managers who have come up through the ranks of technical
writing, and who understand the work, the tools, and where real issues
lie. They're less likely to be confused by smokescreening.

Better yet, they're more likely to know why each team member is a match
for the work and how to work toward business goals with their team.

To me, team is the operative word. Loosely defined, a team is a thing
where the only NECESSARY common denominator is ability to do the work.

The flip side is that team members have to be willing and able to work
in such a diverse setting, which can amount to being v-e-r-y flexible
about individual likes and dislikes.

The desired outcome of such a manager-mediated confrontation would be a
sharp decline in the stress that was causing me too much CYA activity.
It would be pushed back to where 'the work' became the point again.

My $.02, of course YMMV.

Regards,

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com