Re: AW: How do hiring companies view TW resumes?

Subject: Re: AW: How do hiring companies view TW resumes?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 19:06:07 -0700

It's been at least 10-12 years since the last time I tried to "sell" the value
of documentation. I concentrate on identifying employers where I and my team
are integrated into the development process and management has its marching
orders about supporting us, and leave the rest of the development world to those
who have more confidence than I in their ability to change peoples' minds.

At one of my previous interviews, I sat across a table from a company's CEO and
told him that if his engineers and managers needed someone to evangelize the
value of documentation and convince them to work with writers then I was not the
person for the job, but that if they were on board already and needed someone to
take their documentation to where they needed it to be, I could do that for
them. It turned out to be one of the best contracts I've ever had.

Gene Kim-Eng