Convincing others of your value (was: Metrics in its own thread)

Subject: Convincing others of your value (was: Metrics in its own thread)
From: Chris Despopoulos <despopoulos_chriss -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 05:01:23 -0700 (PDT)

I would counter that it's time to extend the tech writer's purview. So long as you get paid for it, you get satisfaction from doing it, and it adds value, nothing should be off limits. You will grow professionally, and your writing will improve in the long run. The issue is that you get recognition for doing this so-called extra work. In other words, you need time in your schedule to account for that effort on top of your writing. Nobody wants to be turned into a slave.

I'll say it again... Any and every high-tech product is ultimately a package of information. We're information professionals.

It seemed to really open peoples' eyes to the TWs and how we worked, how
we thought, and what we could do, given half a chance. The shine wore
off eventually, but for a while, it really improved our standing in the
eyes of our co-workers. It was a bit of a Pyrrhic victory, since it also
meant we got drawn into more and more activities that should have been
outside our purview.

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com