Re: Which would you prefer and why? (Help Tool)

Subject: Re: Which would you prefer and why? (Help Tool)
From: Deborah Hemstreet <dvora -at- tech-challenged -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 19:03:45 -0400

Hi All,

I want to thank you all for your feedback. It has been quite helpful to me on several levels.

1. Your input confirmed what I thought I already knew, but now know I know.

2. Your input confirmed my personal experience.

3. Your input helped me to consider additional issues which further confirmed the above.

4. In short, I still want to wait for my client's feedback, but if all goes well... I believe we too will select Flare.

All that being said, I do not want to do product bashing. RoboHelp was my first Help tool after working in pure HTML for help on a UNIX system, many many eons ago. There is much that I love about RoboHelp and still do. But the ability to contact someone to get my simple pre-purchase questions answered was a huge issue. I could not get the tech support person via Chat or telephone to understand my questions. This is a shame because when a product is good, it merits good support as well.

Other variables also contributed to my decision. Still, thank you all for your input.

Deborah

On 03/30/2010 3:11 PM, cjcbrown -at- comcast -dot- net wrote:

Our tech writing group just did a big comparison and chose Flare too.

We are a group who has experience with just about everything including Robohelp, Flare, their predecessors, etc.

After painstakingly doing requirements, and comparing features, and running tests with legacy documents,

we all thought the two were very close.

The deal maker was the vendor's investment in the tool, or, how much do they want us to use it and be successful?

Flare not only has more responsive support, but more frequent full releases and patches.

Robohelp seems moribund by comparison.

We just couldn't shake the image of the energetic Flare team out to grab market share,

versus the lonely person in a cubicle at Adobe doing Robohelp sustaining. And tech support escalations. How sad.

Connie