Re: Indexes for online use

Subject: Re: Indexes for online use
From: cjcbrown -at- comcast -dot- net
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 17:04:12 +0000 (UTC)

Good question. I haven't seen any research. I wouldn't expect to either, because when it comes to search, it seems all the research is directed to better algorithms to full-text search. (research on hand-built indexes being less commercially valuable)

That said, as a tech writer needing a content management system, I would want the index, yes.

I use them if they're there.

In my world the readers have told us they prioritize this way:

1. Good full-text search in the final deliverable

2. Well-done index by hand

3. Table of contents

Connie