Re: Anthropomorphism is bad because...

Subject: Re: Anthropomorphism is bad because...
From: Janice Gelb <janice -dot- gelb -at- oracle -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 23:28:25 +1000

On Jun 21, 2010 11:12PM, Chris Despopoulos wrote:
> **********
> The definition of "expect" is to anticipate or to
> consider probable or reasonable, which require
> cognition. A non-anthropomorphic substitute might
> be "require," which is a state that can be programmed
> into the system.
> **********
>
> A system can indeed anticipate something in response
> to entering a given state, set up the data structures
> to manage it, and continue functioning in its absence.
> I certainly hope that's not cognition. Then again,
> I always figured that AI research stumbles on an
> overestimation of intelligence. [snip]

The *system* is not anticipating anything. The
*programmer* anticipated conditions and programmed
the system to perform certain actions in response
to certain actions or information.

-- Janice

Janice Gelb | The only connection Oracle has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- oracle -dot- com | this message is the return address

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish documentation,
manuals, and other information through multiple channels. Choose
authoring (and import) as well as virtually any output you may need.
http://www.doctohelp.com/