Re: Anthropomorphism is bad because...

Subject: Re: Anthropomorphism is bad because...
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 12:41:53 -0700

On 6/22/2010 11:55 PM, Janice Gelb wrote:
> I'll be glad to discuss this further if you
> do come up with an example other than the
> one to which I responded. I gather that you
> did not comment on my response because you
> decided that the example you provided was
> not really what you meant after all.

Actually, Janice, I was using an abstract example to illustrate my
position. You seem to have a strict adherence to a requirement of
concrete examples that makes abstract discussions nearly impossible. I
felt that a simple example of an email program, that we should all
understand, could illustrate, by way of abstraction, the concepts in
complex systems for the purposes of discussion. Many of us have
experience with complex computer systems, but few of us have experience
the same complex systems, so using these systems creates a bit of a
learning curve for discussing system behavior as being anthropomorphic
or, rather, as being too complex to explain to average system users in
non-human terms.

Many human terms have non-human counterparts in computer systems, but as
systems become more complex, non-human terms become scarce. Examples of
terms follow.

Human - Non-Human
-----------------------
Think - Process
Want - Require
Feel - Evaluate
Remember - Store
Memory - Memory (oh, dear...)

A system that processes data until a certain requirement for new data is
triggered possesses some void of a requirement of data. What is that
void called? The void is most certainly not "requirement" as a
requirement cannot trigger itself. The void is also not a "wait state"
since waiting is only part of the void between trigger and requirement.

My lack of a concrete example does not negate the validity of my
discussion. Unless you are willing to discuss abstract concepts, or
there is not a concrete example that satisfies your needs for continuing
the discussion, no discussion may continue between us.

Lauren

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/