Re: Functional Specifications (Requirements) and Traceability to

Subject: Re: Functional Specifications (Requirements) and Traceability to
From: beth -dot- tripp -at- verizon -dot- net
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 09:50:11 -0500 (CDT)

Documentation
importance: Low

89048.css" type=3Dtext/css rel=3Dstylesheet>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.6000.17063" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY><BR><BR>Andrea,&nbsp;&nbsp;We track requirements to validation protoc=
ols. You could create a validation protocol for your manual that links to t=
he requirement specifications. The software we use for our requirements and=
protocols is DOORS. With it we can provide links and traceability for our =
software and also the manual. We have a protocol that validates the manual.=
So if the spec changes the protocol is flagged of the change in the spec. =
QA approves of our test plans and also the reports that are created from th=
e completed protocols. So if anyone asks if the content meets the spec, we =
could show the protocol results.&nbsp;Just my .02.Sincerely,Beth<BR><BR><BR=
><BR>Message: 1<BR>Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 08:52:05 +0200<BR>From: Andrea Koe=
nemann <BR>Subject: Functional Specifications (Requirements) and Traceabili=
ty to<BR>Documentation<BR>To: techwr-l <BR>Message-ID:<BR><BR>Content-Type:=
text/plain; charset=3DISO-8859-1<BR><BR>Hi everyone,<BR><BR>here at work w=
e're looking at switching the Requirements (Functional<BR>Specifications) m=
anagement software to Contour from RequisitePro. Right now<BR>the only way =
the FS are being traced to the contents of the user docs I<BR>write is that=
I'll place a marker with the FS number into the text in Frame<BR>Maker. I'=
ll then create an index of these markers to check stuff off<BR>manually. I'=
d really like a more automated process if possible, like a way<BR>to input =
the page and doc version number in relation to FS into the database<BR>rath=
er than doing so by hand with adding attributes and checking it by hand<BR>=
when I have time (to try and keep up with FS and doc revisions). The<BR>que=
stion is, how do you guys trace the contents of your user docs and your<BR>=
functional specifications? Has anyone had any experience working with<BR>Co=
ntour (from Jama Software)?<BR><BR>PS: Our documentation is unstructured.<B=
R><BR>Thanks in advance for your insights,<BR><BR>Andrea<BR><BR><BR></BODY>=

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/