Strategies for handling multiple e-mail systems and accounts?

Subject: Strategies for handling multiple e-mail systems and accounts?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 11:52:09 -0400

All,

I've always had a main e-mail account or two via ISP,
that I downloaded (POP rather than IMAP), and perhaps the
odd Gmail account that I never downloaded.

I understand that some of you manage vast empires of
e-mail, with multiple accounts at various providers,
for various purposes, and a new gmail account every
time you visit a new website that wants a login.

Since both the wife and I are looking at biz ventures,
we expect we'll soon be dealing with all sorts of mail,
and want all sorts of accounts in order to handle the influx.

How do y'all deal with the demands of managing a plethora
of accounts and sources of mail, some personal, some
related to this biz, others related to that biz, etc.?

Do you keep your entire e-mail life online (in the clutches
of Google for example)? Do you use local reader software
like Thunderbird, Evolution, etc., to bring it home and
keep your own backups?

What is your strategy for quickly jumping from one account
or provider to another, from your desktop, and not have
it all blur?

Can most mail readers be configured to poll multiple providers
from multiple profiles/identities and download the incoming
to separate inboxes that are also seprate file/directory
structures?

Or does one open a new instance of a program for each identity
that one wants to manage? (I'll launch T-bird to be private-me
and handle my private-from-my-ISP account; I'll launch
Evolution to be me-as-owner-of-TechWrite Services; I'll launch
XYZ program to be me-as-volunteer-web-contact-for-charity-W...)

I really hate just doing what seems obvious or seems to work,
and then discovering that I must undo/untangle a big mess
before I can re-do it properly. If I advise the wife wrongly
as well... the consequences could be grisly.

If this seems too OT, please contact me directly.

Thanks,

- Kevin

<bumpf-start>

or disclosing it.

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/