RE: Strategies for handling multiple e-mail systems and accounts?

Subject: RE: Strategies for handling multiple e-mail systems and accounts?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>, Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 14:34:52 -0400

I was figuring on a separate domain per business/venture.
Match the domain name as closely as possible to the website
name, to the corporate or "operating-as" name.

But clue me in on how the hosting and portability work.
If I get a domain via (say) 1and1 or Yola or whatever,
and next year I decide to switch to GoDaddy, that's the
domain hosting switched. But where's all my mail? On a
1+1 IMAP server?

I haven't used Outlook Express in 14 years, but mail
at my day-job employer is Exchange Server, accessed by
Outlook (not Express) on our desktops. Being in the
relative boonies (relative to head office), we have
primary stuff IMAP'd, but are _strongly encouraged_
to keep the server-side stuff svelte and trim, moving
and saving everything to local folders. However, that
mostly has meant 25 "folders" in the mailbox, but existing
inside a single honkin'-big .PST file that we must each
remember to retire every half year or so.

Every day or so, I amaze myself with the kinds of stuff
where I have theoretical grasp, and maybe some ancient
experience, but no practice and no handle on the nitty-gritty
because I've never had cause to do so. This'd be one.

I've installed, configured and run my own IMAP servers
on Linux boxen (somewhat distant past), but then had no
need to worry about local desktop handling of mail because
the server was in the other room and I set the limits.

Go figure. :-)

or disclosing it.

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/