RE: C & Doxygen > XML > PDF

Subject: RE: C & Doxygen > XML > PDF
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "Moti" <moti -dot- kagan -at- gmail -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 13:22:46 -0700

Not necessarily a simple/quick to implement solution, but you could use
XSLT to convert the Doxygen XML output to pretty much anything you'd want.

5+ years ago I was working with Javadoc (for Java APIs), and we modified
Sun's doclet (or created our own, I don't remember exactly since I didn't
do the initial setup for it) to create FrameMaker MIF files, so this is
where you'd need to use XSLT to get to MIF format. Then from there we used
DZbatcher (http://www.datazone.com/dzbatcher2.html) to automate the
creation of the PDFs.

Not sure whether this authoring path would take care of the ancillary
requirements (grouping, etc.), but I'm certain that we had ancillary
material beyond the Javadoc class files, so I'd recommend this path.

This was all automated in the nightly build -- that is, every time the
nightly build scripts regenerated the executables/etc., the docs process
was also automatically invoked.

HTH,
-Monique

> I'm interested in trying to move toward some more standard way of
> doing things. We'd still need to use Doxygen (because the developers
> are used to marking-up their header files using the Doxygen tags), but
> I'd be interested in doing-away with the custom scripts and instead
> taking Doxygen's XML output and running it through some standard XML
> utility to produce either Framemaker or PDF files.

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/