Re: Strategies for handling multiple e-mail systems and accounts?

Subject: Re: Strategies for handling multiple e-mail systems and accounts?
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 17:00:52 -0700

Kevin,

I like Google apps for domains. You can set up multiple email accounts
on the same domain for free, and any or all of the accounts can be
used as catch-all addresses. 7.5 GB space, and GTalk, and Docs. Can't
go wrong.

Sadly, you cannot convert an existing Gmail account to a domain
account. This means if I migrate to using Google apps for my main
domain, I have to start from scratch and rebuild my contact and chat
lists all over again. In the day and age of IMAP it's not impossible,
only time-consuming.

For the solution, I set my Gmail to send email as my domain. This
brought another problem, in that Gmail added the "on behalf of"
handler to my return address, making my Gmail address visible even
though I didn't want to do that.

This problem is easily avoided by setting Gmail to SMTP through your
domain web host, using any account name/password set up as a valid
SMTP sender.

This brought up another problem that few people will encounter: I host
a number of domains on the same server, but let Google manage the
email for one account. When I sent email through the SMTP server of
one domain TO the domain hosted on Google, messages failed because a
recipient did not exist at that domain. To fix this problem, I had to
ask my domain web host to add the Google-handled domain as an external
server in their main SMTP configuration.

The long and the short of it is, go Google. ;-) I've stopped
wondering what they do with our data.

If you want self-hosted exchange email handling, I found a web host
http://myhosting.com that offers a kick-ass deal. Their exchange
mailboxes are limited to 1GB, but websites can use both Linux AND
Windows server scripting. Not much else out there that does that for
the same price.

BTW: I've managed to sync Google contacts and calendar to my winmobile
phone over ActiveSync. So maybe Exchange hosting isn't entirely
necessary.

-T

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/