Re: Certification: Ernest and Scribbler

Subject: Re: Certification: Ernest and Scribbler
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 15:14:01 -0400

> Nobody at STC has detailed the criteria yet beyond the names of the
> subject area, which don't included areas I work in. So it would be
> good for Steven (being the committee chair) to provide even a blog
> post, forum topic, or—egad—wiki page that features that discussion.
>
> What, STC using SocMed tools to draft process? Pshaw. I hope Anne
> Gentle gets involved with the process to knock some sense into their
> paper based minds. ;-)

I agree, it'd be good practice to flesh this out in some kind of a
dedicated forum of some kind. I'd say Wiki for those on the committee,
but definitely a public forum or even a blog where anyone - member or
not - can comment on items the committee raises for discussion.

This is a huge task, and I would understand and even suggest that the
committee avoid too many hands in the pot. But, that doesn't mean
developing behind a curtain either. Make the Wiki readable by all,
writable by committee members. Create discussions around areas being
actively worked on, so the feedback flows along with the development
effort in a timely manner.

Seems this approach would also build buy-in over time as well, because
you're giving people something to be partly invested in prior to
launch.

Bill

--
Bill Swallow

Twitter: @techcommdood
Blog: http://techcommdood.com
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/techcommdood

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/