RE: automating PDF settings for Word-sourced docs ?

Subject: RE: automating PDF settings for Word-sourced docs ?
From: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>, "'techwr-l'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 14:46:17 -0400

Hi Monique,

I no longer have 2003/2007 on my systems, and Word 2010 won't create PDFs
using any flavor of Acrobat (something I discovered AFTER I converted to
Word 2010). I'm using Acrobat 8 Standard and won't upgrade until they prove
Acrobat 10,000 works with Word 2010.

I've never had that problem (which probably means I'm lucky). You're saying
that the page numbers display properly when viewing the document in Print
Layout view, but everything goes kerflukata when you try to create a PDF
using PDFMaker. I assume you are not using Master Documents. Does this same
thing happen with other documents (some you may have previously created in
Word)? You may also have a corrupt Normal.Dot template file. One of the
first things I do when I have problems with Word that defy solutions is to
close Word, blow away the normal template and restart Word. It will recreate
the normal template and surprisingly, this has solved a lot of frustration.
Of course, if that doesn't work, you can always make up a few words, throw
rocks at the squirrels trying to raid the bird feeders, or go for a walk
through the neighborhood talking to yourself in loud, unintelligible words.

More seriously, if you have the same problem using PDFMaker and Acrobat
Distiller, then the problem is in Word. If the page numbers show up
correctly using Acrobat Distiller, but not using PDFMaker, then it looks
like your plug in may be at fault. In that case, you may need to uninstall
Acrobat, then reinstall it.

I understand your frustration. All of my contracts require Word source
files. Sometimes, you spend more time trying to get word to work correctly
than you do writing the actual content. This is especially true if you are
working on stuff sent to you from someone else. Engineers are notorious for
not understanding the basics of Styles and Formatting.

ARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH......There, I've said that for both of us.

Al Geist
Technical Communicator, Help, Web Design, Video, Photography
Office/Msg: 802-872-9190
Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
Website: www.geistassociates.com
See Also:
Fine Art Photography
Website: www.geistarts.com

"...I walked to work, quit my job, and kept walking. Better to be a pilgrim
without a destination, I figured, than to cross the wrong threshold each
day." (Sy Safransky)