RE: Comparison of RoboHelp and Doc-to-Help for consolidating our Word content into web based knowledge base?

Subject: RE: Comparison of RoboHelp and Doc-to-Help for consolidating our Word content into web based knowledge base?
From: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 14:48:19 -0400

Michael Herman (Parallelspace) asked

We're a software company with a lot of traditional Word based product and
user based documentation plus a collection of knowledge base articles.

We like to consolidate all of these Word assets into some sort of web-based
knowledge based solution (that looks/functions like Microsoft's MSDN and
TechNet web sites).

I used to be familiar with RoboHelp and Doc-to-Help but haven't used these
products in a long time. Which one is best from your experience? Are
there any other old/new products on the market that are good for repurposing
content (mostly Word) into as web based knowledge base?

Hi Michael,

Have you tried looking at a Wiki?

Al Geist
Technical Communicator, Help, Web Design, Video, Photography
Office/Msg: 802-872-9190
Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
Website: www.geistassociates.com
See Also:
Fine Art Photography
Website: www.geistarts.com

"...I walked to work, quit my job, and kept walking. Better to be a pilgrim
without a destination, I figured, than to cross the wrong threshold each
day." (Sy Safransky)

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/

LavaCon 2010 in San Diego Sept 29&#8211;Oct 2 is now open for registration.
Use referral code TECHWR-L for $50 off conference tuition!
See program at: http://lavacon.org/