Acrobat security - restrict document but allow Extract pages?

Subject: Acrobat security - restrict document but allow Extract pages?
From: "Wroblewski, Victoria" <vwroblewski -at- NECsphere -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 15:26:01 -0500

(I'm digest only, so please CC or BCC replies)

This is all in Acrobat 9.

I've come to actually appreciate some aspects of Adobe's security
features for PDFs. At the current place of employment, we
password-protect all documents that leave the confines of the writing
group. We do enable security to allow for printing and copying of text
ONLY.

However, in addition to just copying text, we'd like to be able to let
users (or even a subset of users) have the ability to extract pages of
the some files. I know we can password protect and allow the copying of
text, but is there any way to let users extract pages and still have the
content protected? The file in question is over 400 Framemaker chapters
in a single book (that gets updated about once a month). I suppose we
could have each chapter/topic as its own PDF file, but that is a lot of
PDFs to manage considering we already have about 100 document bits &
pieces to manage with each release. I just don't get why Adobe doesn't
seem to have a default to allow you to be able let people extract pages
from a secured document into another secured document.

- V

Victoria Wroblewski

Consultant - Documentation Engineer

NEC Sphere

vwroblewski -at- necsphere -dot- com

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/

LavaCon 2010 in San Diego Sept 29 - Oct 2 is now open for registration.
Use referral code TECHWR-L for $50 off conference tuition!
See program at: http://lavacon.org/