Re: Should I document this feature?

Subject: Re: Should I document this feature?
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: Joe Weinmunson <litlfrog -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 10:57:47 -0400

The menu functions themselves should take the user to a situation that
is self explanatory. In that case the documentation can be perfunctory.

On the other hand, if they take the user into a mystical area, such as,
"Please enter code," or "Access denied," or "Pathname of license file,"
then you must document carefully what the end user needs to do:

1. If you're here by accident, just go back (somehow).
2. If you're here because your license does not work the way you
expected, call support at xxx phone number.
3. If you're here because you do not have a license or your license has
expired, call sales at yyy phone number.

Joe Weinmunson wrote:
> At startup, our program looks for a license file in the application
> directory. That license controls what features of the program are
> activated for the user and how many users can access the program at
> the same time. There are three menu functions that involve the
> license: updating, reading license information, and copying a license
> from one file to another. However, I can't think of any situation
> where the end user can or should be using those menu functions if
> they're not on the phone with tech support anyway. Should I leave
> those commands out of the documentation completely? Explain what each
> one does? Or take some kind of middle road? Thanks.

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/

LavaCon 2010 in San Diego Sept 29 - Oct 2 is now open for registration.
Use referral code TECHWR-L for $50 off conference tuition!
See program at: http://lavacon.org/