Re: anti-virus removal question

Subject: Re: anti-virus removal question
From: Jimmy Breck-McKye <jb527 -at- hotmail -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 22:36:31 +0100

I'd just boot a LiveCD / LiveUSB of some lightweight Linux distro (like
Puppy), use it to pull necessary files onto other media, then just
reinstall. Reinstalling an OS every nine months or so is good practice
anyway, because systems inevitably degrade after several iterations of
third party software mess up libraries and dependencies anyway. Most
people are frightened of reinstallation, but it's a lot more trivial
than they think.

Scan those files on some other partition with an up-to-date scanner. Or,
use something like ClamAV from the Linux disc if you *really* can't
bring yourself to do a clean install.