Re: Scrum sucks!

Subject: Re: Scrum sucks!
From: Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp128 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>, "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 10:30:15 -0700 (PDT)

Excellent, Eric! Thank you!
Marguerite

From: Eric J. Ray <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: "Bill Swallow" <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
Cc: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Friday, October 1, 2010, 12:23 PM

On Sep 20, 2010, at 1:29 PM, Bill Swallow wrote:

> Just because you say you're adhering to a model doesn't mean you are,
> and doesn't mean you should. Obviously you aren't remotely doing
> scrum, so have that honest talk with management and tell them how it
> would work better to involve you to ensure features are appropriately
> documented (that is, have a plan ready to go before you go to them).
> Get the docs out of the scrum D(s)oD - or redefine docs as something
> they can pass off to you for your doc purposes - so the scrum teams
> can move forward and so you can move forward without wasting all of
> your time in 7 daily stand-up meetings and so forth.

Ah. And with that, it's time for the cross-reference to one
of my favorite little parables: The Life Cycle of a Silver
Bullet. You can find a copy at
http://www.stsc.hill.af.mil/crosstalk/2003/07/sheard.html
It's a wonderful discussion of the difference between following
the model, and _saying_ that you're following the model.

I was fortunate to attend a week-long workshop at the
Software Productivity Consortium (original source of this gem),
and the software/system engineering approaches and
methodologies discussed were tremendously insightful
for everyone on the team. (End shameless plug.)

http://www.doctohelp.com

LavaCon 2010 in San Diego Sept 29 - Oct 2 is now open for registration.
   Use referral code TECHWR-L for $50 off conference tuition!
          See program at: http://lavacon.org/

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as mkrupp128 -at- yahoo -dot- com -dot-

or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/mkrupp128%40yahoo.com