RE: Two Professional Questions

Subject: RE: Two Professional Questions
From: "Weissman, Jessica" <WeissmanJ -at- abacustech -dot- com>
To: "Porrello, Leonard" <lporrello -at- illumina -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 15:44:00 -0400

I am not familiar with the Flare, as I have not used it.

But I can endorse Help and Manual wholeheartedly. In my previous position I used H&M to create and manage documentation for programmers and for commercial products. The API documentation came in several flavors, and each had to be output in several formats. The commercial product documentation needed to print nicely and to have variant product terminology.

H&M did beautifully at both tasks. They have outstanding and responsive user support. There are a few quirks, and if you use a lot of tables in PDF output you will find yourself with less hair than you had when you started, in part because of the vagaries of PDF and in part because the table engine needs an update. Maybe it's gotten one by now.

I started by importing something from Word, which it did well enough. I've output to RTF for special purposes and had no trouble getting the RTF into Word for further specialized treatment.

It's a very good, solid, and capable product at a fair price.

Jessica Weissman

http://www.doctohelp.com